Thursday, January 26, 2012

I work for a major corp. I travel a lot by my car and plane what can i claim?

It is a oncology managment service company. I am a software trainer for them. I travel locally from one coast of florida to the other using my own vechicle and also I travel out of state using the companies credit card. I also do service calls on the side not related to my 9-5 repairing computers. however I have little to no record of it this year. but in total probally made about 1.5 to 3k on the side. what should I claim?I work for a major corp. I travel a lot by my car and plane what can i claim?Assuming that your employer reimburses you for your travel costs using an accountable plan -- and most companies do just that -- your travel expenses are a wash as long as they use the IRS mileage rate -- 48.5垄 per mile for 007. No reporting is required. If they use a different mileage rate you may have a deductible unreimbursed expense. If it's more you may have reportable taxable income.



If you have any unreimbursed expenses you may claim them on Form 2106. That flows to Schedule A as a Miscellaneous deduction, subject to a 2% AGI floor. If you don't itemize, they're worthless to you.



The side income is reported on Schedule C or C-EZ. If it exceeds $400 net profit in any tax year you must pay self-employment taxes on it as well. Attach Schedule SE to calculate the SE taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment